Monday, October 10, 2011

Cost-Benefit Analysis of Going to school "well-developed paragraph" (instead of Voki)

According to my cost-benefit analysis, a utilitarian would most likely not support going to school despite the overwhelming number of benefits. This is probably due to the fact that they'd see the expensive tuition and extra costs for sports fees proof that it was hurting someone financially. Thus, they'd be experiencing pain; not pleasure. The person I used in the situation of "going to school" for my cost-benefit analysis was me. Although there were many costs, including a large sum of money every year for sports trips/tournaments, these very opportunities led to the nurturing of my academic and athletic skills. I was able to learn more about myself and develop positive characteristics that would help others as I intend to pursue a job in personal training in the future. Going to school presented me with opportunities that basically molded me into the person I am today. But then again, in opposition to the utilitarian view, I have individual rights. I can do what I want to do with my own life. If it costs me a lot, it's okay because I know that the benefits outweight the costs for me. It might not be for others though. Not everything can be given a value. The utilitarian sees the costs as exponential because of the pure numbers, and put a meager value to the benefits of going to school. According to what I believe (against utilitarianism), not everything can be given a dollar value. This includes the life skills and characteristics I've developed over the years of attending school. To me, the benefits are worth the cost of going to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment